Community rallies to family

A Monday fire left seven people looking for a place to stay and residents rallying around them.

 

 

 


Local firefighters were called out at 9:55 a.m. on June 22 to respond to a fire at 177 N. Williams St.

 

“It was a working fire on arrival,” said Whitehall Fire Chief Bryan Brooks. “The ladder truck was the first one on the scene and we had a very aggressive initial attack by both companies.”

 

“Two rooms were burning at the same time when we got there,” said Skenesborough Fire Capt. Jim Martell. “We did an interior attack on both the kitchen and the laundry area.”

 

The home was occupied by Tabatha Tourville and Mark Bessette, along with five children ranging in age from 1 month to 14 years.

 

According to the investigation, Tourville stated that she had heard a loud sound from the laundry room area and found the room in flames. Tourville was able to escape the house along with the children who were home at the time.

 

“Two of the kids were at school at the time,” said Whitehall Village Police Chief Matthew Dickinson. “They were all able to get out fine.”

 

However, the family was not able to recover a pair of puppies.

 

“I saw them run out and I knew that they had their two dogs,” said Kevin McDonald, the next door neighbor and senior at Whitehall Central School. “I ran up to the door to see if I could see the puppies, but at that point the smoke was too thick and there was no way anyone was getting in their without an air pack.”

 

Firefighters did enter the house as soon as they arrived on-scene and were able to contain the fire to the area of the kitchen and laundry.

 

“It was a great set-up and knockdown of the fire,” said Brooks. “We were able to keep the fire local to that corner of the house. We were able to salvage the living room area with minimal water damage and get some of their belongings out and back to the homeowners.”

 

Washington County Fire Investigator Craig Bascue said that the fire started at the electrical outlet that provided power to the dryer.

 

“It was nothing that they did wrong,” said Bascue. “There was a short in the electrical supply to the dryer where the cord plugged into the outlet. It’s just a freak accident.”

 

Bessette told investigators that the family does not have homeowner’s insurance after losing his job in Vermont.
The family is staying with friends for the time being.

 

Members of the Skenesborough Emergency Squad also responded to the scene to assist.

 

Dickinson said that the American Red Cross had shown up to assist the victims promptly.

 

“They were here at about quarter-of-two,” Dickinson said. “They are getting them set up and getting an account at the bank set up for them.”

 

The Whitehall Girl Scouts Troop 3306, which Tourville helps with, will be holding a fundraising drive throughout the town with cans set up at local businesses and a bank account being set up at Community Bank on

Main Street

.

 

There will also be a benefit dinner to help the family on Tuesday, June 30, from 3:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. at the Whitehall Elks Lodge. It will be a spaghetti and meatball dinner with takeouts available. The cost will be $7. For more information, call the lodge at 499-1491. Mothers of the Girl Scouts will be waitressing at the dinner, and there will also be a 50/50 raffle.

 

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Times in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , ,

Search for missing Granville man continues

Jonathan Schaff

By Krystle S. Morey Vermont State Police have been busy questioning potential witnesses in a local missing person case. Jonathan […]

Local bus garages fair well in state inspection

Buses

By Dan King Local school districts are among the state’s best in keeping their buses up and running. The state […]

Whitehall graduates 46

DSC_0280

By Dan King “The easy part of our lives is over.” That was the message from Whitehall High School’s salutatorian […]

Fireworks for sale, for a good cause

DSC_0603

By Krystle S. Morey Granvillians can start summer off with a bang now that fireworks are for sale in the […]

Weekender – 06/24/16

Lakes Classifieds – 06/24/16

North Country Freepress – 06/24/16

Northshire Freepress – 06/24/16

Lakes Region Freepress – 06/24/16

88 to graduate Granville High School Friday

GranvilleCapNGown2016 cmyk

By Krystle S. Morey Eighty-eight “pretty remarkable” young men and women will walk across the stage tomorrow, ending their days […]

Classifieds 06/22/16

State: No audit slated despite village request

Napa Auto Parts Manager Ken Towne said he’s worried about the time it will take a fire department to respond if his store, located across the street from the shut-down Hook & Ladder Co., were to have a fire.

By Krystle S. Morey The state Comptroller’s Office said it will not perform an audit on the Granville Hook & […]