Fire leads to Arson charge

J uvenile charged with Arson Comments comments

 

An East Main Street apartment sustained minor damage from a fire Saturday night and a juvenile has been charged with setting that fire, police said.

The juvenile accused of setting the blaze lit a candle and then touched the candle to a set of curtains, to start the fire about 9:30 p.m., police said. Officials described the damage to the interior of the apartment as largely cosmetic. 

The unnamed 12-year-old faces a Class B felony charge for arson, accused of intentionally setting a fire in an occupied structure.

The juvenile currently also faces a misdemeanor count of reckless endangerment because one other person was in the apartment when the fire was started.

Additional charges are likely in the case, police said as the building at 31 E. Main Street contains eight apartments, many of which were occupied at the time of the fire. It is likely the juvenile will face a reckless endangerment count for each person in the building at that time, police said.

Firefighters from Granville Engine and Hose, Granville Hook & Ladder and Middle Granville responded to 31 E. Main St. around 9:30 p.m. for the fire.

Granville police were first on the scene but found the fire had already been extinguished.

The fire was quickly put down by the occupants of the apartment and caused little damage, officials said.

No residents of the apartment or the apartment building were displaced by the fire, officials said.  No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , , ,

Excitement continues at the Washington County Fair

fair go round

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey Holy smokes! The final days of the fair are here already! The Washington […]

Shoppers’ ‘points’ can help schools get tools

art sci dog fish cut up web

By Krystle S. Morey Granville residents can earn free supplies, musical instruments and playground equipment for their school simply by […]

Fundraiser for boy injured in ATV accident Saturday

Logan Pease

By Dan King Since 11-year-old Logan Pease was struck by a vehicle while riding his ATV in May, the community […]

Dirty water plagues users

The Orchard in North Granville

By Krystle S. Morey Several North Granville residents were plagued with dirty tap water last week after a local nursing […]

Classifieds 08/24/16

Lakes Region Freepress – 08/19/16

Weekender – 08/19/16

North Country Freepress – 08/19/16

Northshire Freepress – 08/19/16

Lakes Classifieds – 08/19/16

Washington County Fair Aug. 22-28

Jaxon Beebe, of Granville (2)

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey Holy smokes! It’s fair time! With an attendance of 120,000 annually, the Washington […]

County seeks PILOT for new solar projects

county board of supervisors

By Dan King The Washington County Board of Supervisors wants Borrego Solar to pay some money for its solar project […]