No injuries reported in ‘bouncy’ deflation

R evelers at this weekend’s Fall Free Festival got more than they bargained for when an inflatable bouncy house deflated on a group of children Saturday evening.

According to eye witnesses, an unidentified number of children (one witness suggested may 15) were inside a bouncy house when the electric fan that keeps the structure inflated, lost power and began to deflate on the occupants inside.

The incident occurred near the end of the festival, between6:30and7 p.m.

Whitehall Volunteer Fire Company member Jim Brooks was one of two members of the department who were on scene when the power went off.

“They lost power in the gazebo area and the fan shut off,” Brooks said. “There were several parents around and they rushed over and held the house off the kids.”

“From what I understand it was a little hectic getting them out,” WVFC President Brian Brooks said. “Lots of volunteers helped.”

Jim Brooks said Mayor Peter Telisky was quick-witted enough to unplug the fan from the dead outlet and plug it back into a live outlet, allowing the house to inflate.

Other than a few frayed nerves and some frazzled parents, no injuries were reported.

The exact reason for the power outage is unknown, although it’s believed either a breaker was tripped or a fuse blew.

At least resident said he’s heard there’s been some problems with electricity at the park and has seen outside lights come on in the middle of the day and go out at night, giving some validity to either a problem with the breakers or an intermittent shor

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Times in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , , ,

Excitement continues at the Washington County Fair

fair go round

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey Holy smokes! The final days of the fair are here already! The Washington […]

Shoppers’ ‘points’ can help schools get tools

art sci dog fish cut up web

By Krystle S. Morey Granville residents can earn free supplies, musical instruments and playground equipment for their school simply by […]

Fundraiser for boy injured in ATV accident Saturday

Logan Pease

By Dan King Since 11-year-old Logan Pease was struck by a vehicle while riding his ATV in May, the community […]

Dirty water plagues users

The Orchard in North Granville

By Krystle S. Morey Several North Granville residents were plagued with dirty tap water last week after a local nursing […]

Classifieds 08/24/16

Lakes Region Freepress – 08/19/16

Weekender – 08/19/16

North Country Freepress – 08/19/16

Northshire Freepress – 08/19/16

Lakes Classifieds – 08/19/16

Washington County Fair Aug. 22-28

Jaxon Beebe, of Granville (2)

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey Holy smokes! It’s fair time! With an attendance of 120,000 annually, the Washington […]

County seeks PILOT for new solar projects

county board of supervisors

By Dan King The Washington County Board of Supervisors wants Borrego Solar to pay some money for its solar project […]