Fire damages Hebron home

by Matthew Rice

 

Quick action by homeowners was credited with stopping a fire Monday afternoon in North Hebron.

Hebron Fire Chief George Flint said when homeowners Lisa and Gordon Cruikshank noticed smoke in their Halls Pond Road home just before 2 p.m. they grabbed their animals, got out and called 911.

The cause of the fire was later determined to be old wiring that either shorted or arced, creating the fire that burned inside the wall.

The couple was at home watching television when they were able to see smoke coming up from the floor.

“I got the cats and put them in one car and moved it away from the house and put the dogs in the barn, got my husband’s wallet, got out and called,” Lisa Cruikshank said.

Cruikshank said the family had lived at the residence for 22 years and were covered by insurance.

No one was hurt but the home suffered fire, smoke and water damage.

“It was not a fender-bender, there was some damage,” Flint said.

Called out at 1:45 p.m. fire fighters left the scene at 4:15 p.m. after ensuring the fire was out.

Firefighters could be seen removing siding, insulation and other materials from the corner of the residence near the electrical service after New York State Electric and Gas linemen disconnected the electrical service.

“These old beams tend to absorb things, we’re just trying to make sure we don’t have to come back here again,” Flint said.

Fire companies from Hebron, Hartford and Cossayuna as well as Salem EMS responded to the scene.

 

 

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Granville’s first-ever lighted tractor parade Friday

tractor

By Krystle S. Morey and Amber Stewart “The more lights the merrier.” This is the strategy the Granville Future Farmers […]

Village seeks funds for Flat Iron demo

flat iron

By Matthew Saari Whitehall village officials are seeking a state grant to fund the demolition of the notorious Flat Iron […]

Resident, village battle over sewage spill

sewage

By Matthew Saari Something stinks in the village of Whitehall. For more than two months resident Christina Steves has battled […]

Quarrymen call proposed zoning a business ‘killer’

slate

  By Krystle S. Morey More than 40 slate quarry owners and industry workers turned out at Poultney’s Select Board […]

Northshire Freepress – 12/08/17

Northshire_12_8_17.pdf-web.pdf

North Country Freepress – 12/08/17

FreePress_12_8_17.pdf-web.pdf

Weekender – 12/08/17

Weekender 12_8_17.pdf-web.pdf

Lakes Region Freepress – 12/08/17

Lakes_12_8_17.pdf-web.pdf

518 Wheels – 12/07/17

518 Wheels 12-4-17.pdf-web.pdf

Toys train delivers smiles

Toys for Tots train whitehall

By Matthew Saari Nearly 300 children had their Christmas brightened more than a little Sunday morning when the 2017 Marine […]

County to buy 3 village properties

Church Street bridge

By Krystle S. Morey Washington County will purchase three properties in the village of Granville that officials say will provide […]

Former Scotties’ closes its doors

scotties

By Krystle S. Morey The Slate Valley Café, formerly Scotties’, has closed. A sign appeared on the front door of […]