Unsafe building closes portion of Main Street

A portion of Main Street will be closed indefinitely after part of the façade of a partially demolished building fell into the roadway last week.

Mayor Peter Telisky said a number of bricks fell from the old Chase building (located near Lock 12) onto the sidewalk Friday morning, prompting officials to close the street amid safety concerns.

“There weren’t a lot of bricks that fell but it was enough of a concern because they hit the sidewalk and flew into the road,” Telisky said.

On Monday, a few dozen bricks could be seen sitting on the sidewalk and in the southbound lane of Main Street. Cement barricades and orange construction cones were placed in the roadway on either side of the building and large road closed signs alerted motorists to the closure.

The property, which is located across the street from Lock 12, has been a source of frustration for village officials for months.

The adjacent sidewalk has been closed for nearly a year because officials feared that falling bricks might strike pedestrians.

“It’s a hindrance to the community and a hindrance to emergency services,” Telisky said.

Flint Stone, who according to Washington County property records, purchased the building last June for $1, had begun tearing down the building, but there has been little to no progress since last summer.

Village officials have tried to compel Stone to finish demolition but those efforts failed to bare any results and the matter was turned over to Washington County Code Enforcement.

According to Telisky, the county issued Stone a court summons but he failed to appear. Late Tuesday Stone, 41, of Fort Ann, was arrested and charged with failure to comply with a written order to remedy violations. He was arraigned in village court and released to appear at a later date.

“We’re not out to crucify this man but we want the building fixed. We want him to remedy this,” Telisky said.

The village had considered tearing the building down itself but was advised not to pursue that course of action, at least for now.

Telisky said the village will seek legal counsel on how to proceed but did not rule out the village tearing the building down and then trying to recover the money.

Officials are hoping to work with Stone to have the building removed.

There’s currently no timetable for the reopening of Main Street but Telisky is hopeful the matter can be resolved quickly.

“We want it down and we want it down now,” he said.

 

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Times in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , ,

Probe supports Torres’ firing

football-2

By Krystle S. Morey An investigation by the Granville Central School District that led to the firing of varsity football […]

Granville begins superintendent search

Only three board members showed up to last week's meeting, which is not enough to hold a meeting.

By Krystle S. Morey The Granville Board of Education has started its search for a new superintendent as the district’s […]

Whitehall Fire Co. seeks new contract

Smith Street Fire

By Dan King Whitehall Volunteer Fire Company is looking for a three-year fire protection contract that would increase its budget […]

Chief eyes expansion of shared police services

ErnieBassett2

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey It’s been a year since the Granville and Whitehall police departments have shared […]

Classifieds 09/28/16

Weekender – 09/23/16

Lakes Region Freepress – 09/23/16

Northshire Freepress – 09/23/16

North Country Freepress – 09/23/16

Lakes Classifieds – 09/23/16

Torres fired, other coaches resign

mario-torres

By Krystle S. Morey An incident involving a cover-up of Granville football players smoking marijuana on school property has led […]

Sasquatch calling festival Saturday

Bigfoot 1

By Dan King You’ve heard of hog-calling contests at county fairs, but Whitehallers will be calling a much more exotic […]