Fire damages Granville duplex

J aime Thomas

A fire damaged a duplex apartment building at 6 and 8 North Maple St. Friday night, but officials have not yet determined whether it is a total loss.

Firefighters received multiple calls to the scene of a working structure fire at 7:50 p.m., where neighbors saw flames and heard explosions. Granville Fire Chief Ryan Pedone said the fire had started in the back of the building and spread onto the roof. There was also a 20-gallon propane tank on fire, which Pedone said caused the explosive sounds.

He said area crews were able to knock down the main part of the fire within 30 minutes.

“They were able to get in there and knock it down pretty quick. It was a very, very quick knockdown,” Pedone said.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Zinn said all the Granville crews and their mutual aid did an “excellent” job.

“It was an awesome interior attack on it. Once the heavy load was knocked down, we were able to get inside,” he said.

The fire, which investigators determined to be electrical in nature, was also strong in the attic of the building, so firefighters had to cut holes in the roof in order to fully extinguish it.

Two families consisting of a total of nine people were living in the building, and everyone was able to get out safely. The building’s owner, Rosemary Coon, said her tenants are currently staying at the Queensbury Hotel.

“It was tragic, but nobody was hurt and that’s a blessing,” Coon said. On Monday, she said she wouldn’t know if her tenants would be able to move back in until the end of the week.

Pedone said Mettowee Street was shut down for a bit during the fire, so crews could run a 4-inch hose to the scene. In addition to Granville Hook and Ladder and Granville Engine and Hose, crews from Middle Granville, North Granville, West Pawlet and Wells responded to the blaze, and Hartford stood by. The Granville Rescue Squad was also on scene.

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , , ,

Northshire Freepress – 06/23/17

North Country Freepress – 06/23/17

Lakes Region Freepress – 06/23/17

Lakes Classifieds – 06/23/17

Alumnus tells school board: Whitehall falling short

John Diekel

By Matthew Saari Newly minted Air Force Lieutenant John Diekel made an appearance before the Whitehall Board of Education Monday […]

Berke wins Granville School Board runoff

Philip A. Berke

By Krystle S. Morey Philip A. Berke won the ninth and final seat on the Granville Board of Education Tuesday […]

Waters wins Whitehall School Board runoff

Roxanne Waters won the final seat on the Whitehall School Board in a runoff election June 20.

By Matthew Saari Roxanne Waters claimed the ninth and final Whitehall Board of Education seat Tuesday night, garnering 145 votes […]

After more than a year, state audit ‘still ongoing’

The Hook & Ladder is one of the Granville fire companies being audited by the New York State Comptroller's Office.

By Krystle S. Morey More than a year after the village of Granville asked the state to audit its fire […]

Busty’s causes a stir

The owner of Busty's Brew and BBQ in Whitehall decided to edit his sign after receiving flack from local officials.

By Matthew Saari The provocative mascot with her plunging neckline at Busty’s Brew and Barbecue Pit in Whitehall is at […]

Northshire Freepress – 06/16/17

Northshire_6_16_17.pdf-web.pdf

Lakes Region Freepress – 06/16/17

Lakes_6_16_17.pdf-web.pdf

North Country Freepress – 06/16/17

FreePress_6_16_17.pdf-web.pdf