B y Jaime Thomas
Area firefighters responded to an early morning fire at The Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre Tuesday morning.
North Granville Fire Chief Scott McCullen said the call came in just before 7 a.m. for smoke seeping out of electrical sockets in all of the rooms in two wings of the nursing home.
“They were doing their weekly generator backup and the equipment sent a double surge into the power for the A and B wings, and smoke started coming out of the boxes,” McCullen said. Nursing home staff were able to do an internal evacuation of residents into another wing, and no one was injured or in danger.
“They were safe at all times,” McCullen said, and Administrator Timothy Urich agreed.
“It was a minor issue, but we wanted to be sure all the residents were safe. The residents were never at risk, but we like to be overly cautious with any situation like this,” Urich said. He was pleased with his staff’s response to the situation.
“The staff responded outstandingly. They immediately contacted the fire department and moved the residents,” he said.
Crews were still on scene at noon, and McCullen said they had to go into each room to check on the sockets and then slowly put the power back on. Urich said there was only minor smoke in the morning and no damage whatsoever to the center.
Along with the Granville Engine and Hose, firefighters from Hartford and Middle Granville were on scene, while West Pawlet was ready in the North Granville station, and Fort Ann and Granville stood by. The Granville Rescue Squad was at the home as well.
“They did excellent. Everybody did an excellent job,” McCullen said.