Crews respond to electrical fire at The Orchard

B y Jaime Thomas

Area firefighters responded to an early morning fire at The Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre Tuesday morning.

North Granville Fire Chief Scott McCullen said the call came in just before 7 a.m. for smoke seeping out of electrical sockets in all of the rooms in two wings of the nursing home.

“They were doing their weekly generator backup and the equipment sent a double surge into the power for the A and B wings, and smoke started coming out of the boxes,” McCullen said. Nursing home staff were able to do an internal evacuation of residents into another wing, and no one was injured or in danger.

“They were safe at all times,” McCullen said, and Administrator Timothy Urich agreed.

“It was a minor issue, but we wanted to be sure all the residents were safe. The residents were never at risk, but we like to be overly cautious with any situation like this,” Urich said. He was pleased with his staff’s response to the situation.

“The staff responded outstandingly. They immediately contacted the fire department and moved the residents,” he said.

Crews were still on scene at noon, and McCullen said they had to go into each room to check on the sockets and then slowly put the power back on. Urich said there was only minor smoke in the morning and no damage whatsoever to the center.

Along with the Granville Engine and Hose, firefighters from Hartford and Middle Granville were on scene, while West Pawlet was ready in the North Granville station, and Fort Ann and Granville stood by. The Granville Rescue Squad was at the home as well.

“They did excellent. Everybody did an excellent job,” McCullen said.

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Classifieds 08/27/15

Washington County Fair in full swing

407624_345593242132090_322483287_n

By Linda Ellingsworth There’s still plenty of time to experience the excitement of the Washington County Fair. A celebration of […]

Coin drops hurt by bridge work

Bridge

By Dan King Those who volunteer their time to serve the people of Whitehall say their coin drop operations have […]

Working together: town, village fixing waterline

DSC_1921

By Dan King For the past week and a half the town and village of Whitehall have been working together […]

Townwide sale next weekend

Lawn sale 006

By Dan King Bargain seekers will converge on Whitehall Labor Day Weekend, as they seek the best deals around. The […]

Three vying for public safety position

By Christina Scanlon Washington County supervisors have narrowed the field to three candidates for county public safety director and will […]

Recycled teens applauded

By Christina Scanlon Nine honorary members of the Mettowee Valley Senior Citizens were honored last week at a luncheon filled […]

County opposes pregnant inmate restraint changes

By Dan King The state Legislature passed a bill in June that limits the use of restraints on pregnant inmates, […]

Granville, Hartford low opt outs; Whitehall average

By Dan King and Christina Scanlon Students at area school districts opted out of Common Core with less frequency than […]

Eighty-one take part in football camp

By Christina Scanlon Summer football camps for students at Granville are nothing new. Over the years, the players have attended […]

Northshire Freepress – 08/21/15

Lakes Region Freepress – 08/21/15