Firefighters contain blaze at Saint Gobain

B y Jaime Thomas

Quick response and preparedness made for a quick stop of a fire on the roof of St. Gobain Performance Plastics Monday morning.

A maintenance worker went on the roof to check on a heating problem when he noticed there was a fire in a propane heater. Both the company’s safety team and local firefighters immediately stepped into action.

“It didn’t have a chance to spread with how quickly they located it,” Granville Fire Chief Ryan Pedone said. He said it appeared a transformer malfunction had caused an electrical fire in the heater, which was connected to only one section of the building.

Incidentally, a number of area crews and St. Gobain employees recently participated in an extensive drill at the plant.

“The drill helped out in two aspects. Their safety team knew what we needed—they were directing our trucks exactly where to go. The safety director was on the phone with me right away telling me what was going on. It worked well because our guys knew where to go,” Pedone said. “The drill definitely helped out everyone that was there. Everyone knew the layout of the building.”

That readiness led to a 10-minute knockdown. Crews used the factory’s ladders as well as their own truck ladders. Inside, employees were evacuated from the plant but were soon able to go back inside because the fire was limited to one area.

Pedone said crews spent most of their time ventilating the smoke condition in the building. Helping the Granville Fire Department was Middle Granville, North Granville, West Pawlet, Hebron and Granville EMS.

Additionally, Pedone said the small blaze had nothing to do with a power outage in the village that began around the same time.

 

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , ,

Weekender 08/29/14

Lakes Region Freepress 08/29/14

North Country Freepress – 08/29/14

Northshire Freepress 08/29/14

Preparations underway for school year in Granville

The 2013-14 school year begins Wednesday and ushers in some significant change within the Granville Central School District. The district […]

Students build community of trust

Transitioning from elementary school to middle school is easily one of the most difficult processes in an adolescent’s life, but […]

Village approves new parking law

Last Tuesday evening the Whitehall Village Board of Trustees held a public hearing to discuss a potential parking law, which […]

Changes abound as school year begins

With the school year starting next Thursday for Whitehall students, the district has gone through a transformation this summer, one […]

Test scores improve, but continue to lag behind

Granville students showed improvement in both math and English on the state tests but continue to lag behind their peers […]

Youth Center for sale

The Granville Police Benevolent Association has put its youth center up for sale. Sergeant Dave Williams said a lack of […]

Former resident dies in accident

A former Granville resident was killed Saturday night in a motor vehicle accident on I-87 in Albany. Matthew Fiske, 43, […]

Quarryman not returning

One of Main Street’s most well known residents has been missing for years and it doesn’t appear he will be […]