B y Jaime Thomas
Quick response and preparedness made for a quick stop of a fire on the roof of St. Gobain Performance Plastics Monday morning.
A maintenance worker went on the roof to check on a heating problem when he noticed there was a fire in a propane heater. Both the company’s safety team and local firefighters immediately stepped into action.
“It didn’t have a chance to spread with how quickly they located it,” Granville Fire Chief Ryan Pedone said. He said it appeared a transformer malfunction had caused an electrical fire in the heater, which was connected to only one section of the building.
Incidentally, a number of area crews and St. Gobain employees recently participated in an extensive drill at the plant.
“The drill helped out in two aspects. Their safety team knew what we needed—they were directing our trucks exactly where to go. The safety director was on the phone with me right away telling me what was going on. It worked well because our guys knew where to go,” Pedone said. “The drill definitely helped out everyone that was there. Everyone knew the layout of the building.”
That readiness led to a 10-minute knockdown. Crews used the factory’s ladders as well as their own truck ladders. Inside, employees were evacuated from the plant but were soon able to go back inside because the fire was limited to one area.
Pedone said crews spent most of their time ventilating the smoke condition in the building. Helping the Granville Fire Department was Middle Granville, North Granville, West Pawlet, Hebron and Granville EMS.
Additionally, Pedone said the small blaze had nothing to do with a power outage in the village that began around the same time.