No cause for fatal fire in North Granville

B y Jaime Thomas

Officials still don’t know what caused a fire that killed two people and destroyed their North Granville home early Thursday morning.

In the home were 80-year-old Lee and 77-year-old Dema Martin, both of whom would’ve celebrated birthdays during the past week. Autopsy results, released Monday, confirmed the couple died from asphyxia due to carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation.

North Granville Fire Chief Scott McCullen said crews were called at 12:19 a.m. Feb. 6 to the fully-involved structure fire at 543 County Route 12.

“Upon our arrival the house was pretty much down on the ground,” he said. Though he wasn’t sure why calls didn’t arrive sooner, he said several factors made it hard for responders to get to the scene.

“The road conditions were very terrible; trying to get personnel on scene at that hour was tough,” McCullen said, adding that firefighters initially had to attack defensively. “There was a power line across the road and driveway, so we were fighting from back behind the power line.” It took 25 more minutes for NYSEG to be on scene to deal with the downed lines.

“We had everything against us,” McCullen said.

Because two people were missing in the fire, he said crews had to be careful with their attack. They had put out the blaze by about 3 a.m., as it was “pretty contained” but remained on scene until 10:30 a.m.

Because of winter conditions, McCullen said there were problems with water; he had tankers running almost 8 miles to two dry hydrants in the village of Granville.

“I’ve never in my time as chief called as many departments as I did. We needed to keep water circulating to keep our operation going,” he said.

In addition to North Granville, fire departments from Granville, Middle Granville, Hartford, West Pawlet, Vt., Whitehall, Fort Ann, Hampton, Cossayuna, Argyle, Kingsbury, Rupert, Vt. and Hebron were all on scene. The Wells, Vt. department was at the dry hydrant and the Pawlet, Vt. fire department and Granville EMS were standing by. Washington County Sheriffs were also on scene.

The cause of the fire remains an open case at this time, McCullen said, as anything from electric heaters to smoking to a woodstove could have started it.

“There are many factors; there’s not much left to even go on,” he said.

Investigators do not suspect any suspicious activity.

Lee and Dema would have celebrated their 60th anniversary on Saturday, according to their obituary. Lee graduated from Granville High School, while Dema graduated from Whitehall High School.

On Saturday, Dr. Michel Sikirica performed autopsies at Albany Medical Center on the remains of the bodies located in the fire and were able make positive identifications using medical and dental records.

Their immediate causes of death have been ruled as asphyxia due to carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation, according to Sheriff Jeff Murphy.

“It’s a very bad tragedy—hits home hard,” McCullen said.

 

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Read more in this week's Times in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , ,

Classifieds 05/27/14

Hampton Firehouse sale looms

Hampton firehouse

By Joshua Bassett Barring someone petitioning for a public referendum within 30 days of May 20, the Hampton Town Board […]

Whitehall Elementary honors fallen heroes

Winners of the citizenship awards

By Dan King Although the weather started chilly on Thursday, it turned nice just in time for the annual Whitehall […]

Huge turnout for Whitehall parade

Charles Austin and Henry Gurney escort Cathy Aiken to place the wreath

By Dan King “I didn’t even know there were this many people in Whitehall,” a spectator said as he watched […]

Hot dog contest next weekend

By Joshua Bassett After a one-year hiatus, the “What’s Up Dawgs Hot Dawg Eating Contest” is back. The event will […]

Hundreds join in Granville parade

good 8

By Joshua Bassett Hundreds gathered Monday on Granville’s Main Street and in Veterans Park to honor and celebrate those lost […]

Car rally to boast more than just cars

According to organizers of the Penrhyn Engine Co. Car Rally in Middle Granville, they’ve seen it all over the years. […]

Beauty will be rewarded

The Slate Valley Garden Club is taking submissions for the organization’s annual beautification awards from now until August. Anyone with […]

Pratts question Hampton coverage

By Joshua Bassett During the public participation portion of a Hampton Town Board meeting last week, Arnie Pratt and his […]

Slate Valley Museum to host ‘spring tasting’

By Laura McCusker The Slate Valley Museum in Granville will host its first-ever Spring Tasting on the Alley on Saturday, […]

Granville FFA goes to convention

Granville FFA Convention pic

By Tara Cook New York State FFA 2014-2015 vice-president Seth Browe, was elected to be the 2015-2016 District 3 FFA […]

Rail Trail 5K this weekend

By Joshua Bassett The sixth annual Rail Trail 5K race takes place this Saturday, May 30. The race/walk begins at […]