Potter Avenue fire destroys garage, truck

potter-ave-fireBy Jaime Thomas

A quick response by local crews stopped a garage fire from spreading to a house early Thursday morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene of a structure fire at 6 Potter Ave. just before 1 a.m., and Granville Police were already on scene upon arrival.

Granville Fire Chief Ryan Pedone said 20 to 30-foot flames were coming off of the garage, which was in the back of a residence, upon arrival and a pickup truck out front was ablaze as well.

The strong heat had also melted some of the siding of a home at 8 Potter Ave. and cracked a window. Pedone said a team went into the house to fight the blaze and were able to stop it from extending into the home.

“There was very, very minimal damage to the house,” he said. He said crews were able to knock down the house and garage fire before the truck outside.

“There was gas coming out of the truck; we spent a lot of time with that,” he said. Both the garage and truck were total losses. Pedone said the cause of the fire appeared to be electrical with an appliance shorting out.

NYSEG was on scene to disconnect power because the fire had been in the house. The blaze was out within about 40 minutes, and firefighters were on scene for a couple more hours.

Pedone acknowledged that there have been an unusually high number of fires in the area in recent weeks but said he can’t pinpoint why.

“We’re not used to this many. The call volume keeps going up and up and up,” he said.

Winter weather was once again a factor in Thursday’s fire.

“It makes it hard at this time of year; all the elements are against us,” he said. However, he praised his own department and mutual aid crews for their quick work.

“There was great teamwork by everyone involved. We were able to stop it from spreading into the house and causing further damage, and we stopped it from spreading to 8 Potter Ave.,” Pedone said.

In addition to the Granville Fire Department, departments from Middle Granville, North Granville and West Pawlet were on scene, as was Granville EMS.

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , ,

Classifieds 09/17/14

Railroaders trounce Bombers

Morse breaks a tackle 2

By Dan King Whitehall football defeated Section IX’s Pine Plains by a score of 54-6, sparked by 48 first half […]

Soccer team starts season with win

By Dan King Whitehall soccer started the season the right way, with a 2-0 shutout of the Hadley-Luzerne Eagles, last […]

Golf team moves to 4-0

Pereau and Flynn eye up putts on 13

By Dan King Whitehall golf is now 4-0 on the season, after sweeping Corinth last Tuesday and sweeping North Warren […]

Applefest Saturday in Fair Haven

By Dan King Applefest has been conducted annually by Fair Haven School for over 25 years now and the event […]

Rec Center sees rise in unaccompanied children

“We had to fish three little girls out of the canal, no parents were home and there was nobody we […]

Officials concerned with property

By Dan King “My son was riding his bike and almost got hit by a car, because he could not […]

WIC finds new home

1977 team

By Dan King The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program in Whitehall will now be hosted in the Rec Center. […]

100 years of Whitehall football

1977 team

By Dan King Whitehall High School has been fielding an interscholastic varsity football team since before the start of World […]

Volleyball team beats Glens Falls

DSC_0098

Granville’s volleyball team picked up a big non-league win over Glens Falls on Monday. After winning the first two games, […]

Soccer coach pleased with effort

DSC_0129

Girls soccer coach Jane Havens may not have been happy with the final score but she was pleased with her […]

Horde edged by Corinth in overtime thriller

DSC_0194

Sometimes a loss feels as good as a win. Granville’s field hockey team may have come out on the wrong […]