Potter Avenue fire destroys garage, truck

potter-ave-fireBy Jaime Thomas

A quick response by local crews stopped a garage fire from spreading to a house early Thursday morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene of a structure fire at 6 Potter Ave. just before 1 a.m., and Granville Police were already on scene upon arrival.

Granville Fire Chief Ryan Pedone said 20 to 30-foot flames were coming off of the garage, which was in the back of a residence, upon arrival and a pickup truck out front was ablaze as well.

The strong heat had also melted some of the siding of a home at 8 Potter Ave. and cracked a window. Pedone said a team went into the house to fight the blaze and were able to stop it from extending into the home.

“There was very, very minimal damage to the house,” he said. He said crews were able to knock down the house and garage fire before the truck outside.

“There was gas coming out of the truck; we spent a lot of time with that,” he said. Both the garage and truck were total losses. Pedone said the cause of the fire appeared to be electrical with an appliance shorting out.

NYSEG was on scene to disconnect power because the fire had been in the house. The blaze was out within about 40 minutes, and firefighters were on scene for a couple more hours.

Pedone acknowledged that there have been an unusually high number of fires in the area in recent weeks but said he can’t pinpoint why.

“We’re not used to this many. The call volume keeps going up and up and up,” he said.

Winter weather was once again a factor in Thursday’s fire.

“It makes it hard at this time of year; all the elements are against us,” he said. However, he praised his own department and mutual aid crews for their quick work.

“There was great teamwork by everyone involved. We were able to stop it from spreading into the house and causing further damage, and we stopped it from spreading to 8 Potter Ave.,” Pedone said.

In addition to the Granville Fire Department, departments from Middle Granville, North Granville and West Pawlet were on scene, as was Granville EMS.

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , ,

Northshire Freepress 12/19/14

North Country Freepress – 12/19/14

Weekender 12/12/14

Lakes Region Freepress 12/19/14

Classifieds 12/17/14

Girls fall to Greenwich in opener

A stingy defense was too much for Granville to overcome in season opener Friday night. Granville was held to seven […]

Girls compete with Cougars

The Whitehall girls’ basketball team (0-3) is still seeking its first win of the season. However, the girls stuck with […]

Boys’ hoops handed first loss

After leaping out to a 2-0 start, the Whitehall boys’ basketball team was grounded at North Warren, 65-43. To say […]

Main Street rebounding, says dog salon owner

Dog Salon

By Dan King Malin Shepherd’s new dog salon on Main Street is a sign, she says, that the street is […]

What are you drinking?

Whitehall water

By Dan King If you live in the Village of Whitehall, your drinking water is perfectly healthy. That’s what the […]

Dared by friends, she write a novel

Author

By Derek Liebig It started with a dare. A few years ago, Granville resident Michele Sargent was having lunch with […]

Town to host hearing on fire protection

By Derek Liebig The town board will hold a public hearing later this month on proposed contracts for fire protection […]