B y Krystle S. Morey

 

A flag flies at half-staff outside of a North Granville home where a woman perished in an early-morning blaze Saturday.

Kimberly A. Collins, 57, died of smoke inhalation caused by a fire ignited in her State Route 22 home.

Collins was believed to be asleep in an upstairs bedroom, where the fire began. Investigators said the woman likely passed away before first responders were called.

The cause of the fire was electrical in nature, said Washington County Fire Coordinator Glenn Bristol. The fire is blamed on power strips that were overwhelmed. There were too many devices plugged into approximately four strips, including a space heater.

“They aren’t designed to handle that much wattage,” Bristol said.

There were also no smoke detectors triggered inside the home. Detectors were visibly present but not activated downstairs due to ineffective placement. They were installed just two feet above the floor, instead of near the ceiling where smoke rises. A burnt detector was recovered from the bedroom where the fire ignited.

 

This is only a preview of the story published in the Whitehall Times. To read the full story, pick up a print copy of this week’s paper at the newsstand or read it online here.

 

This is only a preview of the story published in the Granville Sentinel. To read the full story, pick up a print copy of this week’s paper at the newsstand or read it online here.

Comments

comments

Read more in this week's Sentinel in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Read more in this week's Times in newsstands now or click here to read right now with our e-edition.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Dresden budget approved after heated hearing

dresden

By Matthew Saari Dresden’s 2019 budget was approved 3-0 on Saturday but only after a very heated public hearing and […]

Hunters feed less fortunate

DSC_0546

By Matthew Saari On Thursday, Nov. 8 the Whitehall Times and Granville Sentinel published a post on Facebook, requesting local […]

Habitat build draws interest, volunteers

habitat for humanity2

By Krystle S. Morey Since Habitat for Humanity announced it would erect a home on a vacant lot on Potter […]

Secure vehicles, police urge

police

By Krystle S. Morey As the holiday season begins, local law enforcement officials are warning of possible thefts of items […]

Obituary: Dorothy “Tosh” (Keelan) Plisko

Dorothy Plisko obit photo

West Pawlet, Vt. – Dorothy “Tosh” (Keelan)  Plisko, 86, went into the arms of the Lord on Wednesday, November 14, […]

Obituary: Thomas Edward (Tucker) Rock Sr.

Thomas Rock Sr. obit photo

Whitehall – Thomas Edward (Tucker) Rock Sr., 71, of Lower Bellamy Street, went peacefully into the arms ms of the Lord while […]

North Country Freepress – 11/16/18

FreePress_11_16_18.pdf-web.pdf

Lakes Region Freepress – 11/16/18

lakes_11_16_18.pdf-web.pdf

518 Wheels – 11/15/18

518 Wheels 11_16_18.pdf-web.pdf

Former church being transformed

DSCN0731

By Adam Cook   The Middle Granville Presbyterian Church on Route 22A has stood empty for the better part of […]

School bus passer ticketed

police

By Krystle S. Morey A driver who claims she was “not paying attention” is facing legal ramifications after she drove […]

Dresden rushes to pass budget

dresden

By Matthew Saari The Town of Dresden is attempting to fine-tune a budget, hold a public hearing and approve its […]