Tag Archives: Chimney Fire

Fire leaves family homeless

A family of five was left homeless after a fire destroyed their home Sunday night. Ed Wheeler, who lived in the 19th century farmhouse located at 3122 County Route 21 with his wife Ann, daughter Jessica and two grandsons, said the house was a complete loss. “The one good part was we were all awake […]

Read More

Whitehall responds to block fire in Granville

The Whitehall Volunteer Fire Co. was among nearly two dozen local fire departments that responded to a fire that destroyed two buildings on Main Street in Granville early Monday morning. Granville firefighters responded to a report of a Dumpster fire at 3:50 a.m. Upon arrival, however, it was determined the blaze was actually a working […]

Read More

Bedlam Corners to reopen

By Jaime Thomas The day after she bought the remains of the Bedlam Corners general store in August, Virginia Curran started renovating it. Since then, she has spent a lot of time reinforcing the structure in West Hebron, which burned down nearly two years ago from a chimney fire. “It took 10 dumpster loads to […]

Read More

A dream up in smoke

Ten years of work up in flames in Truthville   A dream went up in smoke Nov. 2 as fire claimed a Truthville home just before noon. The DeKalb Road home of Betty David was consumed by fire as fire fighters from eight area departments responded to the scene, but were unable to halt the […]

Read More

Hebron Landmark Destroyed

It was a general store, a historic landmark, a business and a home, but now it’s gone. A fire heavily damaged the Bedlam Corners General Store in Hebron Friday morning, Dec. 10, leaving two people without a place to live, a business to operate and a community without a place to get a cup of […]

Read More

Fire Guts Hebron Landmark

The Bedlam Corners General Store in Hebron was guttend by fire Friday morning. The historic structure was a favorite of local author John Katz. More to follow as details become avialable, but the fire is belived to have started as a chimney fire and spread from there.

Read More

Fire Co. renews search for lost horn

By Dan King Thirty years ago a silver plated presentation horn was stolen from the Whitehall Fire Company and the […]

Town finalizes speed reduction proposal

By Dan King Back in July, the Town of Whitehall drafted a proposal to reduce the speed limits of a […]

Officials weight safety vs. freedom of Amish

By Dan King Just when it seemed that all discrepancies and arguments about how to handle Whitehall’s growing Amish population […]

Superintendent upset with test scores

Whitehall Central School District Superintendent Elizabeth Legault has been analyzing data and researching educational policy in an attempt to turn […]

Increase in traffic hasn’t led to increase in accidents at intersection

By Dan King The intersection of County Routes 18 and 21 in Whitehall has always been a difficult intersection for […]

Enerjazz to conclude concert series

Whitehall’s summer concert series will be coming to a close on Friday, Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. and to say […]

Cheerleading made an official sport

By Dan King After years of being a club sport and funding all expenditures on their own, Whitehall cheerleaders have […]

State says their own building has code violations

By Dan King New York State Canal Corporation recently stopped by the new location for Friends of the Washington County […]

Storefront undergoes rebirth

A storefront that has stood on West Main Street for more than 100 years has been given new life. When […]

W. Pawlet auction Thursday

The West Pawlet Volunteer Fire Department will host its annual auction this evening at the West Pawlet Firehouse, Route 153, […]

State orders town to monitor former landfill

The state has threatened to take legal action against the town if it doesn’t begin submitting monitoring reports of groundwater […]

Silitch named Alumni of Year

A North Granville resident has been named Alumni of the Year at a college recently ranked among the top 100 […]