Tag Archives: Chimney Fire

Fire leaves family homeless

big 1

A family of five was left homeless after a fire destroyed their home Sunday night. Ed Wheeler, who lived in the 19th century farmhouse located at 3122 County Route 21 with his wife Ann, daughter Jessica and two grandsons, said the house was a complete loss. “The one good part was we were all awake […]

Read More

Whitehall responds to block fire in Granville

Granville fire 3

The Whitehall Volunteer Fire Co. was among nearly two dozen local fire departments that responded to a fire that destroyed two buildings on Main Street in Granville early Monday morning. Granville firefighters responded to a report of a Dumpster fire at 3:50 a.m. Upon arrival, however, it was determined the blaze was actually a working […]

Read More

Bedlam Corners to reopen

west hebron store 003

By Jaime Thomas The day after she bought the remains of the Bedlam Corners general store in August, Virginia Curran started renovating it. Since then, she has spent a lot of time reinforcing the structure in West Hebron, which burned down nearly two years ago from a chimney fire. “It took 10 dumpster loads to […]

Read More

A dream up in smoke

fire early WEB

Ten years of work up in flames in Truthville   A dream went up in smoke Nov. 2 as fire claimed a Truthville home just before noon. The DeKalb Road home of Betty David was consumed by fire as fire fighters from eight area departments responded to the scene, but were unable to halt the […]

Read More

Hebron Landmark Destroyed

Flames begin to emerge from the thick smoke as the Bedlam Corners General Store burns Friday, Dec. 10 about 9:45 a.m.

It was a general store, a historic landmark, a business and a home, but now it’s gone. A fire heavily damaged the Bedlam Corners General Store in Hebron Friday morning, Dec. 10, leaving two people without a place to live, a business to operate and a community without a place to get a cup of […]

Read More

Fire Guts Hebron Landmark

The Bedlam Corners General Store in Hebron was guttend by fire Friday morning. The historic structure was a favorite of local author John Katz. More to follow as details become avialable, but the fire is belived to have started as a chimney fire and spread from there.

Read More

Town proposes solar moratorium

Solar front

By Dan King Whitehall town officials want to figure out some rules and regulations before allowing new solar projects to […]

Area communities plan Memorial Day services

Last year's memorial day parade

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey Memorial Day will be the focus throughout the area this weekend. Various towns […]

Local towns take different approaches to animal control

Chickens

By Dan King and Krystle S. Morey Dogs, and cows, and horses – oh my. Loose animals are a concern […]

Stanley, Van Gelder top Class of 2016

DSC_0092

Valedictorian to study at Georgetown  Three years ago, Granville business teacher Terry Wheeler approached Brooke Stanley and asked her to […]

‘The Quarry’ opening soon

OCallahans3

By Krystle S. Morey Interior walls and the well-known wooden storefront of O’Callahan’s Irish Pub are coming down as owners […]

Lakes Region Freepress – 05/20/16

Northshire Freepress – 05/20/16

Lakes Classifieds – 05/20/16

Weekender – 05/20/16

North Country Freepress – 05/20/16

Classifieds 05/18/16

Putorti, Gordon elected to Whitehall School Board

School Board

By Dan King Some things will change and some things will stay the same on the Whitehall Board of Education. […]

oter(); ?>