Despite a quick response by local firefighters, an early-morning fire in West Pawlet, Vt ., killed one man and destroyed two buildings, including a long-time neighborhood grocery, on March 26. The owners of Dutchie’s General Store of West Pawlet, Vt., Eric Swanson and Will Kuban, were initially trapped by the flames, but escaped from the […]
Picture that idyllic holiday scene — roaring fire in the fireplace, gifts piled high under a glimmering and glowing Christmas tree, maybe some candles softly shimmering in the background on top of a table loaded with a big holiday bird. One or all of the features in this scene, however, can be a source of […]
It was a general store, a historic landmark, a business and a home, but now it’s gone. A fire heavily damaged the Bedlam Corners General Store in Hebron Friday morning, Dec. 10, leaving two people without a place to live, a business to operate and a community without a place to get a cup of […]
Workers clearing limbs away from power lines spotted smoke and called 911early Monday afternoon saving a residence and possibly a man’s life as a fire caused damage to an East Quaker Street home. No injuries were reported. Workers Nick Tousant and Jon LaFave from Lewis Tree Service, formerly Tamarack Trees, said they noticed smoke coming […]
Mayor proposes return of unique timepiece Just as the streets of Granville had not heard the chimes of the Veterans Memorial Clock in many years, the mayor proposed the return of another unique timepiece to Granville Monday night. Mayor Jay Niles asked the board if there was interest among the board members in bringing back […]
Griffith (Roger) Evans, 86, of Granville went into the arms of the Lord on Feb. 10, 2010, with his loving family by his side. Roger was born in Granville, on Aug. 15, 1923, the eldest son of the late John and Alice Evans. He attended Granville High School, graduating in 1941. In 1943, Roger enlisted in […]
Bingo Longtime fundraisers fading away? Once upon a time the chairs were full every game night and local fire departments raised a fair amount of money through hosting a weekly bingo game. But those days seem to have gone away.
A Monday fire left seven people looking for a place to stay and residents rallying around them.