Tag Archives: Fire Officials

Village: Mow your lawns or we will

High Grass

The village is begrudgingly entering the landscaping business.  Frustrated by the number of unkempt lawns and property owners’ indifference toward addressing the problem, the village is moving forward with a plan to mow the lawns itself and recoup costs from owners. “I’m fed up, and at this point, I’ve had enough,” said Mayor Peter Telisky, […]

Read More

Irene bad for business(es)

Businesses at the intersection of Routes 22 and 149 took a massive hit from the flooding from Tropical Storm Irene Sunday. As more than six inches of rain fell in less than 24 hours, the Mettowee and Indian rivers both exceeded their banks by several feet. Reports from the National Weather Service have the rivers […]

Read More

Despite rain, cold burn ban until May 15

Local fire officials are reminding people despite the cold, wet spring, a yard cleanup staple, burning, comes with time and materials restrictions. A 2009 law limited outdoor burning as well as burn barrels for incinerating household refuse, officials said. Included in the measure banning the burning of household trash in open outdoor receptacles, the law […]

Read More

Turn attempt (with unique cargo) snarls traffic for two hours

road block long distance web

by Matthew Rice A Utah wind energy project managed to bring traffic in Granville to a halt Thursday, March 3 as a massive tractor trailer blocked Route 22 for nearly two hours Thursday morning. The 153-foot rig was hauling two 123-foot wind turbine blades from their point of manufacture in Maine to Utah, officials said. […]

Read More

Hebron Landmark Destroyed

Flames begin to emerge from the thick smoke as the Bedlam Corners General Store burns Friday, Dec. 10 about 9:45 a.m.

It was a general store, a historic landmark, a business and a home, but now it’s gone. A fire heavily damaged the Bedlam Corners General Store in Hebron Friday morning, Dec. 10, leaving two people without a place to live, a business to operate and a community without a place to get a cup of […]

Read More

Fire leads to Arson charge

The interior fire in this apartment building led to an arson charge for a 12-year-old juvenile accosed of strting the blaze Nov. 13.

Juvenile charged with Arson

Read More

North Country Freepress – 10/09/15

Northshire Freepress – 10/09/15

Lakes Region Freepress – 10/09/15

Weekender – 10/09/15

Lakes Classifieds – 10/09/15

Classifieds 10/07/15

Scottie’s closing doors ‘for good’


By Christina Scanlon There was no sign on the locked doors Tuesday morning, but everyone in town was already spreading […]

Facebook probe concludes – in private

Board of Ed 2014

By Dan King The investigation into the alleged hacking of Whitehall School District clerk Martha Bascue’s Facebook page is now […]

Bridge-walkers beware

Saunders Street Bridge 1874

By Dan King We might all be criminals without even knowing it. If you’ve ever strode across the Saunders Street […]

Trailers released for Whitehall-based documentary

Bigfoot 2

By Dan King Bigfoot is coming to the big screen. A documentary filmmaker, who is aiming to tell the stories […]

Superintendent introduces policy book

By Dan King Interim school superintendent Bill Scott has given the Whitehall Board of Education an eight-part policy book that […]

Edward’s Market celebrates one year anniversary


By Christina Scanlon It was chilly out Monday morning, as some gathered at the front door of Edwards Market, waiting […]

oter(); ?>